CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) is a proprietary protocol developed by Cisco used to discovers information about the locally attached Cisco equipment. With CDP, the administrator can gather hardware and protocol information about neighboring devices, which can be helpful when troubleshooting or documenting the network.
To discover information, Cisco devices send CDP messages out each of their interfaces. These messages contain information about them, such as their hostname, network and data link addresses, the device model, IOS version, etc.
To display information about directly connected devices, we use the show cdp neighbor command:
Floor1#show cdp neighbors Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID Switch Gig 0/0 166 S 2960 Fas 0/1
As you can see from the example above, there is one directly connected device. Here is a description of each field:
- Device ID – the hostname of the directly connected device. In this case the hostname is Switch.
- Local Interface – the local interface on which the CDP messages were received (Gi0/0 in this case).
- Holdtime – the amount of time the local device will hold the information before discarding it if no more CDP packets are received.
- Capability – the capability of the directly connected device. The letter S indicates that the directly connected device is a switch. The letter R would indicate a router.
- Platform – the model and OS level running on the neighbor, 2960 series switch in this case.
- Port ID – the neighbor device’s interface on which the CDP packets were sent, in this case Fa0/1.
To get even more information about the neighbors, use the show cdp neighbors detail command:
Floor1#show cdp neighbors detail Device ID: Switch Entry address(es): Platform: cisco 2960, Capabilities: Switch Interface: GigabitEthernet0/0, Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/1 Holdtime: 126 Version : Cisco IOS Software, C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)FX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 12-Oct-05 22:05 by pt_team advertisement version: 2 Duplex: full
Download our Free CCNA Study Guide PDF for complete notes on all the CCNA 200-301 exam topics in one book.
We recommend the Cisco CCNA Gold Bootcamp as your main CCNA training course. It’s the highest rated Cisco course online with an average rating of 4.8 from over 30,000 public reviews and is the gold standard in CCNA training: